Friday, January 04, 2008

My Dad

I know it has been a long time since I have blogged, and when I finally did I wanted to update everyone with cute pics and stories from the holidays, but that will have to wait.

My dad had a triple bipass surgery yesterday. He is doing well, so for those of you who have been praying - THANK YOU! For those that don't know anything about this, I am going to spare you the LONG story, and give you the "Cliff Notes."

My dad injured his knee at work quite some time ago. For a variety of reasons, he put off getting that taken care of. When he went in for pre-op for his knee surgery, they found "irregularities" in the EKG. No knee surgery. Fast forward through 1 worker's comp cardiologist, 1 primary care physician, and 1 more cardiologist.

Last Friday (December 28), my dad had an angiogram. They found that 2 of his coronary arteries were 100% blocked, one was 70% blocked, and the last was 80% blocked. It is a miracle that my dad is alive! The damage to his heart was too severe for angioplasty, so he was scheduled for bipass surgery. The doctor thought he might need to do between 3 and 5 bipasses.

The surgery went great! The doctor did 3 bipasses. He said the body naturally created 2 bipasses on the back side of the heart that were doing the job quite well and he did not feel the need to do anything there.

Dad is now in ICU at St. Bernadine Medical Center (standard for this surgery). He will probably be there through tomorrow. Then he will be in a regular hospital room for another 3-5 days of so before he comes home.

Please keep him in your prayers daily as the recovery will be a long one. His right knee still needs surgery (which will be postponed until he is strong again), they took a vein from his left leg to do the bipasses, and of course he has quite the incision on his chest. Please pray for a quick recovery, with no complications or infection.

Thank you for keeping us in your prayers. God is good and faithful and we can feel him at work in this!

Much love~

3 comments:

Jeannie said...

We are praying for your dad Kim. Please keep us posted on updates. You are all in our prayers.
Jeannie

Jeannie said...

We are praying for your dad Kim. Keep us posted on updates on his condition. Your family is in our prayers.
Jeannie

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update! I love you Dad... I prayed all day for him on Thursday and even the Wednesday before the surgery. I'm praying he has a quick recovery! Thank you for the update!
Much love and many blessings!
-Mindi