Monday, January 08, 2007

Yes, I said Dog!

We got a new dog yesterday. Yes, I said DOG. For those of you that really know me, you know that hell has recently frozen over. I am not an animal loving sort of person, at all! But, I do know that my dear hubby and my dear son have really been wanting a dog. Natalie, too, has been saying "doggie, doggie" everytime she sees or hears a dog.

So... a couple weeks ago, we went to Beagles & Buddies, a dog rescue in El Monte. Jeremy heard about them and we checked out their website and found a few that might interest us. My requirements were very strick (I will be the first to admit). With a few in mind, the four of us took off "dog shopping."


We wandered around the shelter for awhile, looking and checking everything out. We didn't see ANY of the dogs on our list, but we kept looking. Each dog we saw was too this, or too that. Jeremy and I were both in agreement that none of these dogs were a good match for our family. We were about to leave, but decided to ask about a few of our "top choices."


It turns out Monique, which we renamed Lady, had recently had a litter of puppies so they had her in another area. The lady took us to see her, and I knew right away that she was the right choice. She is small - my number one requirement, not a puppy (she's about 2 years old) - also my number one requirement, very calm - my number two requirement. She liked me and I liked her. Natalie liked her (which was VERY important to me) and so did Zachary and Jeremy.


Lady had to stay for a couple more weeks so they could wean the puppies. The fixed her and removed her dewclaws too. It was a good thing we couldn't bring her home that day. It gave me a change to warm up to the idea of having a dog. (I have NEVER had a dog before.)


So far, she is fitting in nicely. It is quite an adjustment, but it is going smoothly.

3 comments:

Beckie said...

Kim,
She's cute!!! And I can't believe you've never had a a dog!!! Your kids are sure growing fast and they are cute as ever!!! Ihope everything is going well for you.

In Christs' Love,
Beckie (Henopp) Cochran

The Houghton's said...

Oh the things we do for our families. way to sacrafice Kim... I'm proud of you!

-Mindi

Stef said...

You crack me up!